2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces (cubed)
1/2 cup peanuts (or cashewsnut)
8 small dried red chillies, soaked, seeds removed, chopped (or alternatively fresh red chilli peppers, quantity as desired)
1 slice peeled fresh ginger, chopped
4 cloves garlic (minced)
3 tbsp of spring onions (scallions), chopped
vegetable oil for stir-frying
Marinade : 腌料
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch, mixed with 1 1/2 tbsp water
Seasoning : 调味料
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp chinese rice wine vinegar (or shaoxing wine, Westernized version call for dry sherry)
1 tsp granulated sugar
1 tsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sesame oil
Method : 做法
1. Combine the bite-sized chicken with the marinade ingredients, then adding the cornstarch in a bowl, toss to coat. The chicken left to marinade for 30 minutes.
2. Prepare the seasoning in a small bowl and set aside.
3. Stir-fry 1/2 cup of peanuts in a hot wok with vegetable oil until golden brown and crispy. Drain and set aside.
4. Chinese wok is heated on a high flame, until the wok is quite hot. A swish of the ladle spreads a couple of teaspoons of vegetable oil, then the chicken is flash fried in the hot oil to bring out the flavor (for 2-3 minutes until the chicken cubes no longer in pink color, but not so long that it loses its juices or tenderness). Remove chicken from the wok, drain and set aside.
5. Add 2 tbsp of vegetable oil in the wok. When the oil turn hot, add dried red chillies (or alternatively red chilli peppers) and stir-fry briefly until they turn dark red colour. Then add the chopped ginger, minced garlic and the pre-fried chicken to the wok, stir constantly until aromatic. Then add the prepared seasoning to the wok, then stir until the gravy is thickened. Add in the peanuts and lastly spring onion. Serve hot, the dish goes well with piping hot rice.